[OM] Re: [OT] cholesterol meds

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] cholesterol meds
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:40:17 -0400
But, in the US, most studies of drug induced adverse reactions are
performed by the manufacturer of the drug.  The manufacturers are known
for pre-selecting the participants in the trial to discard those people
who are thought to be susceptible to side effects.  In other words, the
industry's reports of adverse reactions are not based on the general
populace and the incidence of side effects may be much higher than the
studies indicate.

To see what other kinds of tricks are played by the drug industry you
only need read some of the papers by Richard Smith, former editor of the
British Medical Journal who grew disenchanted with the drug industry and
the manner in which prestigious journals such as the BMJ had become a
mouthpiece and sales booster for the industry.  Unfortunately, the case
with the BMJ and European journals such as The Lancet, bad as it is, is
nowhere near as bad as the US journals.

Here's a paper by Richard Smith titled: "Medical Journals Are an
Extension of the Marketing Arm of Pharmaceutical Companies".  If you
don't read anything else at this link be sure to read the green shaded
sidebar at the bottom.  Then ask yourself if you should be on statins or
any other lifetime drug regimen that the industry is trying so hard to
create.  I was there and finally quit based on this and a lot of other
data.  It can be very illuminating to read supposedly peer reviewed
reports that make claims in the summary not supported by any data in the
paper.  Absolutely astounding but that's what's going on today.
<http://medicine.plosjournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-document&doi=10.1371/journal.pmed.0020138>

Chuck Norcutt