[OM] Re: Point and shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Point and shoot
From: "Tom Scales" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 17:05:49 -0400
Good thing I don't agree with him -- at all -- or I would have missed an
awful lot of amazing photographs.

He forgets the mantra of all decent photographers.

"It's not the camera, stupid".

Outstanding photographs are taken by disposal cameras with plastic lenses.
With pinhole cameras made of cardboard. With $40,000 studio cameras.

Will the quality perhaps be better?  Sure.  Will the photo be better?

No way.

He's also forgetting mantra number two.

"You have no photo if you have no camera".

Would I like to take every photo with my D2X?  Well, I started to say
"sure", but it isn't true. I couldn't possibly carry it everywhere.  My
Cannon SD1000 is tiny -- almost as small as my old Pentax S4i -- but 7mp.
The results on the finger nail sized chip are pretty decent.  Could I print
a 24x36? Well sure. Would it be any good?  Maybe.  Depends on the subject.

As you can see, I'm not a fan of absolutes.

Tom