[OM] Re: Point and shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Point and shoot
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 20:09:26 +1000
I liked a number of things about it but mostly the sense of
frustration released. It is annoying - I avoid most compacts when I
suggest what I'd like to review because fundamentally there's no
difference between them. And most are pretty awful.
It is interesting that it flowed on from an earlier article on the
tendency of customers to blame themselves if they don't get a good
result - check it out, there's a wonderful story on the day that a
photochemical company f**ked up big time and got a huge surprise.
I went looking for a cheap F10 because, although I like so much about
my D-Lux 3 it isn't as good as the D-Lux 2 for noise (but wow, it's
10mp!!!) and the low light performance is crap. I thought it
significant that many of the faults with the F10 were fixed in the
F11 - but that wasn't sold in the US market! It had decent A and S
modes and lost that annoying dongle, I think (I bought a spare
battery and a seperate charger from Hong Kong for almost bugger all
and I always take the card out of cameras and use a reader - end of
problem). Other reason apart from 6 is enough and 800 is useable was
that I liked the metal brick body better than the later models.

I was out today with the absolute opposite of point and shoot - the
Epson R-D1s (no, I can't afford an M8). Most of the controls are
mechanical, just like a real camera. No AF. No zoom. No scene modes.
Won't fire? - you forgot to wind on (remember that?!) IS/VR?- as if!
Chimping - no, flip the screen out of sight. (You got the shot, or
not). Instant shutter - snick. Huge, bright finder (1:1 - both eyes
open). I don't think that the camera made one single decision for me
except for exposure, and then it asked nicely first. I'm beginning to
like it a lot.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx