[OM] Re: Point and shoot

Subject: [OM] Re: Point and shoot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 02:50:43 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Of course, you both need to read -
> http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2007/05/how-to-choose-
> digital-point-and-shoot.html
> - which is amusing and accurate in parts.

And thus inaccurate in others. That's what bugs me in pontification from
an "expert professional".
> And I just bought an F10 NOS as a pocket cam  'cos it was very cheap
> and I'm tired of the noise on my red spot Panasonic and there it is,
> top of the list of piccies and obviously just another 'excremental
> turdlet.'
Not to worry.
> Couldn't find an F11 though, anywhere.

I know they were never imported into the US. Probably true of many other
markets. I think it was a stopgap camera while they got the F30 ready to
go for worldwide distribution. Sort of like the E-400.

I found that I could do a lot to control exposure without manual
controls or going into the menus for EV adjustment by using the spot
metering. For landscapes and such, frame for exposure first, push
halfway, reframe and shoot. With a bit of experience, i had a good sense
of the actual exposure from the LCD. My default daylight EV setting was
-2/3. -1/3 for heavy overcast or all frame in shadow.

The Av, Tv and Manual capability on the F30 are nice, but the EV button
and rearrangement of the F menu turned out to be of more important
practical use to me.

Moose