[OM] Re: Important: Eclipse vs Eclipse 2 for sensor cleaning, was: Re:

Subject: [OM] Re: Important: Eclipse vs Eclipse 2 for sensor cleaning, was: Re: A Virgin no more
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 12:09:32 -0400
I've used Eclipse exactly once and was planning a switch to Eclipse 2.
There was a report on the web that Eclipse (methanol) destroyed the
coatings on the filter surface in front of the sensor on a 5D.  The
president of Photographic Solutions said he was investigating and
recommended using Eclipse 2 until the report on the 5D could be
verified.  Eclipse 2 also contains some methanol but isn't pure
methanol.  Eclipse 2 has been formulated for use on certain sensors that
have a tin oxide coating.

As a result of your recommendation here I decided to check back with
Photographic Solutions to find out what was and wasn't recommended for
Eclipse and Eclipse 2.  I found a compatibility chart that says Eclipse
is now considered OK for the 5D.  They must have discounted the damage
claim and that meets with my one cleaning experience which caused no
damage I'm aware of.  However, much to my surprise the chart lists a
number of cameras that apparently have tin oxide and need Eclipse 2.
They include the Oly E-410, Pentax K10D, later models of the Canon
Digital Rebels and the new flagship EOS 1D Mark III, numerous Nikon
models and others.  Apparently, the newer the camera the more likely it
is to have tin oxide or to have tin oxide on the front surface of the
filter vs. the rear surface.

If you're doing wet cleaning of you sensor you should have a look here:
<http://www.photographicsolutions.com/cameras_bymfg.html>  Note that few
manufacturers have actually endorsed Photographic Solutions' products
for cleaning their sensors.

Chuck Norcutt