[OM] Re: OT Texas

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Texas
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:05:00 -0400
You smilin' when you say that, pardner?

Puts me in mind of one of the guides on HMS Victory at Portsmouth.
While wandering through the admiral's cabin, a silly woman behind me
asked the guide, "Is this a frigate?" He snorted and said to the
effect, "No, Madam, this is a first-rate ship of the line." Then,
with a what I can only describe as an affectionate sneer, he said,
"Your Constitution is a frigate." At which time I returned the
affection and said, "Yeah, but our Constitution still floats!"

We had a good laugh, and a nice long talk with the guide. I believe
all those fellows must be retired Royal Navy petty officers. Very
knowledgeable. I thought he handled the silly woman quite well. She
pulled out a sheet of paper with about 30 questions on it and started
down the list. After the second question, which I think was something
along the lines of "What's a mizzentop?" he took the list, looked it
over, and said with that sort of polite dismissal only the British
can pull off, "Madam, there are many visitors to attend to here.
These are basic seamanship question. I must ask that you direct them
to any one of a number of excellent books available in our bookstore."

It never ceases to amaze me how the Brits can utterly blow someone
off while making them feel as though they have been treated with
nothing but dignity and respect!

(I put quote marks around what he said, but they are quotes only to
the best of my recollection. He was much sharper than what I recall,
and it was all I could do to suppress my laughter. My wife didn't do
so well and had to turn away.)

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com