[OM] Re: For battery bods

Subject: [OM] Re: For battery bods
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 23:19:11 +1000 (EST)
Hi Chuck

> Negative charge????

Yes, you can end up with the lower capacity battery being
reversed polorised, in the case of using them with flashs it
would be minor, which is why I said that you would be
diminishing the life of the lower capacity batterys, goes for
both Ni-MH and Ni-Cd's. Not good to drive either type to
-0v. As stated in my first email (with grammar corrections ;-)

"2400 & 2500 are close that I would think the danger of
leaking or exploding is not high but you will diminish the
life of the lower capacity batterys by doing it."

[Now, we have two glasses of milk and we will now show
you how this leads to the goodness of 2 1/2 glasses of milk
in each bar of Cabruarys Dairy Milk Chocolate]

Think of the two batteries as two cylinders of water with
flexible membranes on top of the cylinders, one has 2.4L
and the other has 2.5L in it, both are drained through tubes
at the base of the cylinders to a shared reserve of liquid by
applying pressure to the membranes at the top but only for
the same length of time until one is empty (ie, enclosed system
as the batteries would be). The 2.5L cylinder will of cause have
water left in it. Again using the same resouvhose on each, same
water pressure, same amount of time each, fill both cylinders.
Wont be long until the difference in the amount of water in each
cylinder is vastly different, or one overflows.

Now, if you push it to empty both cylinders of water completely
in an attempt to balance them, you run the risk of breaking
the membrane on the 2.4L cylinder as it needs to go into
negative pressure to keep up with the 2.5L cylinder.

Sounds like a load of shit doesnt it, looks better if I used a
white board (dont go there you older aussies).

Most but not all battery types can be reverse charged, and
at the swing stage they can get very hot. Normally when this
happens the discharge capacity of the battery will be greatly
diminished unless they are correcty charged again but still
with a very high likelyhood that there life expectancy will
be greatly diminished.

Why do you think battery manufacturers put those little print
warnings on battery packs that no one reads :-)

Or dont you have them over there ?

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

Open Source means "curtains" for Windows.