[OM] Re: For battery bods

Subject: [OM] Re: For battery bods
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 01:11:53 +1000 (EST)
Hi Chuck

> Thanks for the info but, as I understand your description, the adverse
> effects only come about if, after draining the batteries to the capacity
> of the smaller you then recharge them simultaneously in the same charger
> which risks overfilling the larger.  My Maha chargers charge batteries
> in pairs.  What damage (if any) would occur if I always recharged the
> batteries paired by their respective capacities?

If you charge them in pairs of the same capacity (or individually), and
never discharge them past the first sign of the dip in the discharge
curve, then you would be fine but there is a slight problem, being
able to tell when the dip in the curve has been reached. You could
of cause just use them for X number of flashes/photos if you know
that the smaller capacity batt's normally last for x+10 or something.

In the real world, rarely works that way even with the best of intensions.

In relation to the small difference in the capacitys of the battery's
mentioned early, if I could not use the smaller ones in something else
myself, and as I have a 6 array charge unit with individual charge
circuits for each cell in the charger, to be honest I would use them,
better than letting them go to waste on the shelf.

My golden rule though is to always buy just the number of
rechargables I need, always in the same brand and capacity. If
I have a spare left over I'll put it in my wifes toys (the furbies)
or the one of the torchs in the workshop that get regular use.

When one starts to go and doesnt want to be revived I ditch the
whole batch/set and replace them, they are certainly cheap enough
these days that even an unemployed person like myself can afford
them, which makes me wonder just what sort of quality I'm really
buying. I'm still on the same 8 NiMH batterys I bought a few
years ago I might add. 4 in my wifes canon, 2 in each torch.

Li-ion batts on the otherhand, I treat with a lot more respect, ditto
polymag something or rather batt's, those things you do not
want to mix as they are very touchy. See Dell/IBM/Lenovo/Sony
notebooks etc etc, always do your best to get them all with the
same batch number on. They will last longer, and be a lot safer
as the discharge charicteristics should be a lot more similiar.

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

"The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering
from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends.  If they
are okay, then it's you." -- Rita Mae Brown