[OM] Re: Selling a print

Subject: [OM] Re: Selling a print
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 15:34:47 -0400
IMHO, it depends on whether you want to charge Art World prices, Real
People prices, or, as AG mentions, Friends & Family prices. There are
differences.

For what it's worth, at the Craft Cooperative where I sell the bulk
of my stuff, an unframed 10.75x15 print matted to 16x20 and sold in a
clear plastic sleeve goes for $75 (Real People price). At an art
gallery many miles away, where the clientele is entirely different,
the same print sells for $99 (Art World price). Friends & Family
price will range from free to, oh, $65, depending on how close a
relation or how good a friend.

Part of the price differential reflects different levels of
commission. At the Co-op, I pay 10 percent commission; at the art
gallery, 30 percent. (Note that my net is roughly the same.) I could
go into a long, boring monologue about art, snobs and expectations,
but that's not what you're looking for. <g> Suffice it to say that I
have an idea of what my per-item net should be, and my price reflects
that idea. This means Art World prices are higher than Real People
prices. I make no apologies.

Hope this helps. As advice, it's worth exactly what you paid for it.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com