[OM] Re: Portra 160VC for Flowers

Subject: [OM] Re: Portra 160VC for Flowers
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 06:29:50 -0700 (PDT)
> particularly as I just bought a bag of 400NC for my Egypt.  Using a
> strange film for the first time on such a trip is probably not the
> wisest thing to do. Oh well. Agonized a bit over NC or VC, as well
> as 160 or 400.

I've almost always preferred NC over VC because of the grain. NC is
smoother and tighter.  VC has an "apparant" increase in sharpness,
but that's mostly due to an increase in edginess.  NC will keep the
shadows neutral without any colourcasts.  Provia 400NC has about the
same grain as 160VC.

> and that the box ISO speed is pretty much correct.  Is that
> your experience?

Yes.  The Provias are essentially the only professional print films
that can be exposed at the "box ISO speed".  The Vericolor films
always needed to be rated at 100-125.

If I had to choose ONLY ONE film to take with me on a trip, I would
have probably selected 400NC too.  This is the film version of a
DSLR.

AG

 a little couch potato?