[OM] Re: [OT] cholesterol meds

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] cholesterol meds
From: "Gary Holder (c)" <gary.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 13:21:37 -0400
Dang, I'm WAY behind in this list. HAD to respond, here, though very late ,
due to the unusual relevance of the topic, in two ways:  1)training, and
2)experience:

1. TMJ/CPAP:  Both experience and from my graduate training (though NOT
actually put into professional use, I must add):

TMJ-temporo-mandibular joint syndrome (jaw pain/joint problems due to jaw
tension and/or teeth grinding--often in sleep). I also was briefly given
CPAP in 2005 (well, more like "forced to use CPAP while semi-conscious in a
hospital"). For me, and I believe as usually is the case for most others,
the CPAP was for snoring/probable obstructive sleep apnea; not for TMJ.  I
hated CPAP, largely because I could barely tell what was going on and had no
choice in it--I know many love it. In my case, any continuing need for CPAP
was eliminated, or at least delayed into the future due to my other illness
at the time inducing nearly 100 lb. weight loss AND also due to my clearance
on a Sleep Study. The snoring/apnea nearly stopped (for now, at least).

Anyway, my training was in psychology and related relaxation methods. I am
NOT an expert (well, maybe I WAS one back in 1980, but not now), so please
check with your own professionals. I do think (meaning that I believe, but
cannot prove) that relaxation-type methods held off likely TMJ problems for
me, since I had teeth-grinding in sleep back then, and reduced that--and
have held off TMJ syndrome so far. So, I'd advocate first trying relaxation
methods for TMJ syndrome, before invasive techniques, at least for young
people who don't have physically damaged TMJs yet (the tension and grinding
can "wear out" the joint and be the cause of the problem--so once the
physical damage is done in this way the solutions are likely to be beyond my
own experience and training, I certainly would defer to those here with more
TMJ experience, as my own experience is fairly theoretical.

2. Cholesterol/statins:  From personal experience/as a patient:

Cholesterol meds: High doses of Lipitor work best for me:  effectiveness of
meds is variable across individuals, so it may be different for you. Since I
have very bad cholesterol genetics on both sides of my family, my numbers
were real bad until high doses of modern meds came along--and I also had an
early start with meds. Untreated, I have numbers over 300 (mg/ml, I think
the measure is), but am now finally comfortably under 150 treated at high
dose Lipitor, though Zocor also worked. Treatment for me started way back in
the 1980s with diet, fiber powder, and the first statins--Mevacor powder in
my case. I did not get a real good effect on numbers prior to Zocor in the
90s. Almost all my relatives are also medically treated in some way. My
mother struggled with statin muscle pain side effects, forcing a hunt
through multiple meds for the best for her. My dad settled early on diet and
Niacin, which worked OK for him. All my doctors going back 20  years for me
were always worried about liver damage. Finally, by the 2000s they seemed
pretty reassured that liver trouble was rare and unlikely (at least in cases
like mine that had not had any indications of trouble after a long while).
Lucky for me, over the years I never happened to get any of the meds later
found to be troublesome or dangerous. One less thing to worry about.

Gary Holder (Ph.D.)