[OM] Using OM adapters, was: More E-410 FULL FRAME TEST SHOTS

Subject: [OM] Using OM adapters, was: More E-410 FULL FRAME TEST SHOTS
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 07:33:55 -0400
The adapters have a pin that keeps the aperture preview lever depressed
at all times.  Therefore, the aperture set on the aperture setting ring
is at all times the actual aperture.  If you have the setting ring set
to f/8 the actual aperture is f/8.

When using a lens on the adapter you may want to view and focus with the
lens wide open but you need to remember that you need to manually close
down the lens for exposure metering and keep it there for the actual
exposure.  Depending on lens and aperture the metering may not be quite
correct.  You may want to calibrate your lens ahead of time by comparing
the metering results on an OM body vs the digital body for a suitable
test target or simply check the histogram and adjust if necessary.

Moose reported some test results with OM lenses on one of his Canyon
bodies.  I don't recall the precise results but I think the metering was
generally fairly accurate at mid apertures and grew worse at the
extremes.  When I'm using OM lenses with an adapter I find the whole
metering procedure to be cumbersome enough that it's often really only
applicable to slow and deliberate photography and usually on a tripod.
In that case it's very little additional effort to take a test exposure
or two and check the histogram to make sure everything is spot on.  The
exception is a constant lighting situation like landscapes at sunny 16
or continuous gray skies where you can set the exposure once and
continue to shoot for an hour or so without worrying about the light
changing.

Chuck Norcutt