[OM] Image Resolution (Was: Stolen images for sale on eBay)

Subject: [OM] Image Resolution (Was: Stolen images for sale on eBay)
From: John Morton <loncayeway@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 09:31:08 -0700 (PDT)
Well, this is certainly something that I didn't really understand (or perhaps,
think about), either - untill this discussion!

  I WAS use to defining resolution as dpi - dots-per-inch - taken in the
context of photo-mechanical transfer technology (PMT's), as defined by the LPI
(lines-per-inch) ratings of the transfer screens.

  So, a relatively course 85 lpi screen will of course give a lower resolution
output (suitable for printing on newsprint) than a magazine quality 135 lpi
screen. In either case, though, the output size is still the same - whatever
the input size was (without scaling). The only difference is the resolution -
the quality of detail in the image.

  In the back of my mind, I've still been thinking that a higher PPI rating
means more detail - instead of, "more detail for a given print size but a
larger physical size on screen".

  John M.