[OM] Re: Size of Spot Meter - OM-4(T)

Subject: [OM] Re: Size of Spot Meter - OM-4(T)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 16:43:25 -0700
OM4 Land wrote:
> Thanks to both of you for the answers. I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused.
>
>   I get that with a 50mm lens the spot is roughly just a bit bigger than the
> split image but not as big as the micro prism collar of a 2-13 screen.
>
>   I know I'm being a bit thick, but I can't tell if what you (Chuck) are
> saying backs up what Winsor said, adds to it, or refutes it.
>
>   Are you saying that if I use a 100mm lens, the spot will still be the same
> size relative to the focusing aid
YES!

The spot meter simply measures the brightness of a small circle in the
center of the image presented on the focusing screen by the lens. No,
the spot meter isn't OTF. Couldn't be, and still allow averaging over
several randomly selected spots (A least not with the technology of the
time.).

The spot metering system has no way to know whether the lens is 18 mm or
1000 mm.

Moose