[OM] Re: Care of the 65-200 f/4, was: Buying a Tamron 80-200 f2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: Care of the 65-200 f/4, was: Buying a Tamron 80-200 f2.8
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 04:01:59 +0200
Le lundi 21 Mai 2007 01:25, Jeff Keller a écrit :
> The haze on the 65-200 is suspected to be due to oil migrating to the
> lens. Putting the lens in a nice sunny window might make it worse. I
> don't know how the "cement" used in double elements reacts to sunlight
> (I believe sunlight is used to cure one type of cement). You might
> damage your lens with repeated temperature cycling and stong sunlight.
> Finally, strong sunlight could help fade the paint on the lens. If
> your lens has a fungus infection, these risks are small compared to
> the benefit of killing the fungus. If you are unlikely to get a fungus
> infection, then the preventative "cure" probably isn't worth the risk.

You're of course correct, and it is my mistake I didn't mentioned that I
obviously don't stove my lenses[*] ; while letting them bath into daylight, I
avoid exposing them to direct heat. As of temperature shock, we live here in
a rather cool climate save a couple of summer month, so it's less a problem
than, say, in Texas. The paint is less a problem, because I suspect the black
coating on most OM lenses not to be actual wet paint but rather some kind of
sturdy, baked, surfacing. May be wrong, but the thing looks impervious to
light damage.

[*] side story : I made researches on DIY enlargers long ago, such as they
were made in the good ole'time to make use of the standard lense of the
camera to print the pictures ; the supposed benefit being to somehow negate
some distortions by printing out of the same lense that took the image. I
mostly came with a 'no can do' advice because the enlarger's heat would
liquify the internal lube of the lense.

--
Manuel Viet