[OM] Re: Buying a Tamron 80-200 f2.8

Subject: [OM] Re: Buying a Tamron 80-200 f2.8
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 20:55:22 -0400
I'd forgotten about that.  You have a good memory.  I guess the original
page has been deleted but I sort of re-created it.  I've re-posted the
two photos that comprise the test plus a 1:1 pixel crop of the center
sections.  They are of a rhododendron blossom taken with the Mynolta A1
in macro mode at 50mm (200mm eguiv for the A1).  One has the lens
unobstructed and the other has a square of black electrical tape stuck
(if I remember correctly) about 1/2" (12.5mm) square stuck to the front
element.  That's a pretty substantial obstruction to a front element
that's about the size of a Zuiko 50/1.4  Counts for lots of dust specs.

I think the first image on the left is unobstructed and the one of the
right has the tape.  But I really don't remember which was which and I
can't really tell.  But that was the purpose of the exercise wasn't it?  :-)

Here they are:  <http://www.chucknorcutt.com/dust%20spec%20test/index.htm>

Chuck Norcutt