[OM] Re: Webformat conversions?

Subject: [OM] Re: Webformat conversions?
From: Russ Butler <rbinnj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:36:41 -0400
Piers Hemy wrote:
> Command line working has its advantages.  Dir /s ^p comes to mind, useful
> still in Windows.  As far as ImageMagick is concerned, a quote from their
> home page will be enough to show how it actually suits Tim's original need
> quite well (added emphasis is mine):
>
> "ImageMagick includes a number of command-line utilities for manipulating
> images. Most of you are probably accustomed to editing images one at a time
> with a graphical user interface (GUI) with such programs as gimp or
> Photoshop. However, a GUI is not always convenient. Suppose you want to
> process an image dynamically from a web script or **you want to apply the
> same operations to many images** or repeat a specific operation at different
> times to the same or different image. For these types of operations, the
> command-line image processing utility is appropriate."

I use imagmagick for my heavy editing from raw 16-bit tif scan to near
final jpg. (Contrast stretch & curve, strong LCE for layering & color
profile.) Usually then I only need a bit of touching up in
photofiltrestudio. I also use IM to resize for the web. Batch files and
the command line are handy as I can do other things while they're running.

The only gotcha for me was that complex operations require a long
command line that exceeds the winme/dos limit of 127 chars. And IM does
not take a command file or piped input. My fix is to stuff the various
commands into environment variables.

--
Russ Butler (NJ USA)