[OM] Resolution of MF enlarger lenses,

Subject: [OM] Resolution of MF enlarger lenses,
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 18:45:25 -0400
Dr. Flash or Dr. Focus wrote:

"If used enlarger lenses are inexpensive it occurred to me that it might
be useful to have a long focal length enlarger lens to add to the small
stable of 50 and 90mm macros.  I thought it might be useful as a copy
lens for greater working distance.

But then I wondered if any of these long lenses are really up to the
task. It has been rumored that some 35mm Canyon lenses are not up to
the resolution demands required by the pixel density of the 5D and other
full frame digitals."

Hi,
FWIW I appended an e-mail from Zoerk who claim the enlarger lenses on their
gizmo do fine.
I thought this might make for an interesting way to get a T-S macro lens for
OM. see:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/zork.shtml

AG's comment is reassuring that the performance in general may be fine for the
enlarger
lenses.

Have seen some data (and mentioned by Jeff) that the Canyon 24-105 L indeed is
not capable of
of enough resolution to fully take advantage of the 5D above approx 80mm.
Whether this
is really limiting image quality to a substantial degree for most purposes is
not clear, though a bit
bothersome nonetheless.

Mike

PS The image circle of the 135 macro IS large enough, though I could not figure
out how to adapt it
to the Zork gizmo anyway.

Hi Mike:

Thank you for your inquiry to Zörk
US. I handle direct sales and support in the
Americas and the Pacific Rim, and I would be happy to address any of your
questions regarding mounting your Zuiko lens
on our Multi Focus System (MFS) either with or without our Panorama Shift
Adapter (PSA) (both products together will give you tilt and shift), or assist
you with an order.

The majority of our products, as
you may already have discovered, are pictured and described on our Web site
(please see
www.zoerk.com). On our home page there is a
link to our 2006 Product Guide, which contains basic product information and
current pricing. If you have any difficulties accessing our materials on-line
or
would simply prefer printed materials, please let us know.

I don't think you would want to go through the
difficulty and cost of mounting your Zuiko lens, even if the image circle were
big enough to allow you movements - which I doubt it is. A much better
solution is to use an APO Rodagon enlarger lens, which is available in focal
lengths ranging from 80-150mm. You'll find the APO Rodagon to be at least as
sharp if not sharper and have better color rendering and lower chromatic
abberation on digital sensors. We offer these lenses with the MFS as a kit.
Typically, I have some of these available either used or demo.

If you need shift as well as tilt, you can mount the
MFS on the PSA but the shortest focal length lens would be 105 (for infinity
focus), or shorter (if you're willing to give up infinity). Together, you would
have a true mini view camera with up to 25 degrees of tilt and 20mm of shift.

AOL at AOL.com.