[OM] Re: Resolution of MF enlarger lenses,

Subject: [OM] Re: Resolution of MF enlarger lenses,
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:12:30 -0700 (PDT)
I have used enlarger lenses for macro on a bellows for over 25yrs. Go for the
better quality
Schneider etc lenses where they publish the distortion and MTF charts. The
common 50mm Nikkors etc
are not generally quite as good. Some of those lenses (in the 100-150mm
range)are truly amazing
especially considering they are medium format coverage.  In fact some of the
Schneider lenses used
to get resold new, through edmund scientific as macro lenses for scientific
purposes, partly
because of very low distortion and even performance accross the frame.   The
b&W darkroom websites
have some very good discussions of the relative merits of some of the older
versions as the
formulations have improved over the years. Also the datasheets list optimum
range of
magnifications which is useful to know.

Tim Hughes