[OM] Re: Webformat conversions?

Subject: [OM] Re: Webformat conversions?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 17:31:40 -0700
Russ Butler wrote:
> Piers Hemy wrote:

>> "ImageMagick includes a number of command-line utilities for manipulating
>> images....
> I use imagmagick for my heavy editing from raw 16-bit tif scan to near
> final jpg. (Contrast stretch & curve, strong LCE for layering & color
> profile.) Usually then I only need a bit of touching up in
> photofiltrestudio. I also use IM to resize for the web. Batch files and
> the command line are handy as I can do other things while they're running.

I hope you can hear this without offense, Russ. I am of the opinion from
images you have posted here, that this blind, command line processing
doesn't do justice to the quality of your original images.

You take a great shot, then produce a washed out shadow of the subject
for the web. Not always, but often enough that it seems to this observer
that you aren't always putting your best foot forward.

Personally, I think batch processing is fine for images that have
consistent lighting, like studio work or a series I just shot in Morro
Bay under a solid overcast, where the light was consistent in all
directions for hours. One image with the WhiBal in it and I'm set.
Outdoors with sun and shadow, clouds, moving from area to area with
different foliage, etc., I don't think it cuts it. And once it's been
stretched, squished, LCEed, etc. and converted down to 8 bit, what you
can really do is limited.

A few minutes in a real image editor where one can see what's happening
can turn what looks like a snapshot into something I'd be proud to have
hanging on my wall. http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/RussButler/18W.htm

Again, I hope you take these comments in the constructive way they are
intended!

Moose