[OM] Re: Webformat conversions?

Subject: [OM] Re: Webformat conversions?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 15:24:31 -0700
Russ Butler wrote:
> Moose wrote:
>
>> Russ Butler wrote:
>>
>>> <snip>
>> I hope you can hear this without offense, Russ.
>>
> Totally. One critique is worth 100 "nice shots" to me.

Ah, good!

>> I am of the opinion from images you have posted here, that this blind,
>> command line processing doesn't do justice to the quality of your original
>> images.
>>
> All but the most recent images I've posted here were made from costco
> scans, before I started scanning my own and using imagemagick for
> initial editing.
Ah, well that explains a lot. Even the scans I was getting from a real
photo shop turned out in the end to not be good enough.
> (I use IM mainly to do as much editing as possible in
> 16-bit as I don't have the horsepower to drive a 16-bit image editor.
> Waited a bit too long to upgrade, then Vista struck, so I'll wait 'til
> at least the fall. I save the raw 16-bit scans so I will be able to
> revisit them.) I do final editing of the jpegs in photofiltre. Often
> light, sometimes heavy, it all depends.
>
> Anyway, my current edits are more pleasing to me.
> Feel free to poke around
> http://nfs.nfshost.com/pics07/Winter07.html
> http://nfs.nfshost.com/pics07/Spring07.html
>
> (There are a lot of shots there, and too many more from last year. I/we
> sort of use it as an album and have to start weeding one of these days.
> Or organizing. Yikes.)

Aaaaahh, much better! Some real beauties in there. I haven't had time to
look at them all yet beyond skimming the thumbnails and clicking on a few.

I like 7D21/09 a lot and 7D21/12 even more. 7E17/10 is very lovely too.

Like a few others, and assuming they are on neg film, the skies could
benefit from different scan settings and/or processing to bring cloud
detail out from the flat, blownish highlights.

Dogwood at Bear Mountain, NY [12] is a great subject and composition of
elements. 'Twere mine, I'd see how a crop of a bit off the left looked
and how it looked with the contrail removed.

Just some random observations among lots of stuff to like.

> <snip more good stuff>
>> Again, I hope you take these comments in the constructive way they are
>> intended!
> I do and appreciate your taking the time.

My pleasure. You do some very nice work and it's starting to show in you
web versions!

Moose