[OM] Re: [OT] Antivirus recommendation, was: Anybody using Olympus Viewe

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Antivirus recommendation, was: Anybody using Olympus Viewer or Studio with Vista?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 16:11:41 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> My first antivirus product was IBM's which was a natural since I worked
> for IBM at the time.  When IBM sold out to and combined products with
> Norton I moved over to Norton.  When Symantec bought Norton I stayed on
> for many years.  But eventually Symantec lost their way and became the
> problem rather than the solution.  On advice received here I switched to
> AVG Free perhaps 1-1/2 to 2 years ago and haven't looked back since.
> <http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1>

My story is similar. I have been using Norton since back in the mists of
time. I added a ZA firewall a few years ago and more recently switched
to Norton Security Suite 2005, with its own, highly rated firewall. It's
really been OK, but my notebook came with the 2006 version pre-installed
for a 90 day free trial, which I then extended for a year. It is really
intrusive and annoying. I can't remember the details, but it had some
serious issues with an update that wasted a lot of time - and I'll bet I
have a tough time rooting it out.

So I now have the ZA security suite on the desktop. There were a couple
of break-in oddities, but it seems to have settled down to unobtrusively
do its job. I recently bought a three machine package from them with a
rebate that reduces the net cost to $0 - in a few months. ;-)   The
Norton on the notebook is about to expire, so all three will have the
same security software. That should make life simpler.

I won't touch CA. I got a copy 2-3 years ago with a rebate to make it
free. It was worth much less than that. I put it on the old notebook and
the overhead just killed the machine. I swear it spent half its time
nattering with their web servers. And it was like having a fussy old
maiden aunt living with me, fussing around, poking, prodding and
generally making a nuisance of herself. ICK!

Norton any day over that.

Moose