[OM] Re: Signing photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Signing photos
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:21:53 -0600
The mounting style that Winsor described was once very popular with large
format black and white fine art photographers. It is still used but is less
popular because many art conservationists believe its not as archival as was
once thought. What he's talking about is making a fiber based BW print,
trimming off the edges with a rotatrim type cutter, then dry mounting it on
white museum board. You cut the mat larger than the photo so that the
backing board forms a white border around the mounted print, and you sign
and title the backing board right below the print. Its now believed that dry
mounting is not totally archival, partly because you can't easily remove the
print from its mount, and partly because some conservators feel that
dry-mount tissue is not archival.

The move to digital printing (inkjet) on cotton papers has made this older
mount style even more obsolete because most inkjet prints cannot be
drymounted...the heat is bad for them and some papers that have texture on
both sides will not mount well by drymount.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com