[OM] Re: Signing photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Signing photos
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 16:34:04 +1000
I don't disagree - but just 'cos it ain't right doesn't mean it
doesn't happen. And my point was exactly that a band isn't like a
gallery artist - you drew that analogy.
That said, there's hardly an artistic endeavour where the average
artist of any type makes more than the organiser/administrator/
curator etc. And it will continue as long as good venues and curators
are hard to find and struggling artists are desperate to break
through. Of course it's a business - but the artists are suppliers of
raw material, not the businessmen. That's why successful musicians
start their own record labels and actors turn to producing/directing.
As to the strippers - why do they have to be employees? Many here (I
understand from an ex-student who is one) are self-employed and will
even move between venues during a night. They are performers and a
performer is very rarely an employee of the venue.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx