[OM] Re: How do you mat? – was Signing photos

Subject: [OM] Re: How do you mat? – was Signing photos
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 10:13:25 -0600
Chris Barker wrote:
> Now, how do you experienced chaps cut your mats?  Do you have a
> single knife or a complete machine?

  I'm not experienced, but it's very possible to cut mats with just a
basic cutter and a metal edge. I've got the cheapest Logan cutter, I had
a ruler already, and that was all I needed.

  (model 2000, for instance: http://www.dickblick.com/zz171/13/ )

  A couple of tips that would have saved me some wasted materials early on:

1. When they say "stick sandpaper to the back of your straightedge",
they're _really not kidding_. It makes a huge difference to how much
it'll slide around, which saves you from having an edge on the mat with
a little kink in it halfway down. :(

2. Ask around at local framing places, and see if you can get a big
sheet of scrap -- it's the best thing to use as a base when cutting.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/matting.shtml has some stuff
on this, too.

  -- dan