[OM] Re: Grump OT

Subject: [OM] Re: Grump OT
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 07:47:52 -0300

> Related to nothing, except possibly Richard's mention of 90+ temps in
> New England today--95 F in my neighborhood, I'm currently in an ultra-
> grumpy mood because the high temperatures revealed an ongoing attempt
> by my Subaru to commit suicide. Apparently the unseasonably cold
> temps recently have masked a deteriorating head gasket, which, when I
> turned on the A/C today, decided to show itself.
>
> The repair guy says roughly $1500. >
> Sigh.
>
> --Bob Whitmire

When temperatures warmed up here this spring, I discovered my air
conditioner in the Chevy Tracker had quit over the winter. (It is always
automatically on even in winter in defrost mode, for the purpose of drying
the air). I was pretty annoyed, thinking I'd be in for at least a $1000
repair bill. However, it being 6 years old and with over 200,000 kms., I
guess that is life. It turned out to be a blown fuse, a well-known problem
to GM, and something that typically happens in winter. They actually had put
out a notice to the dealers to upgrade the fuse from 25amp to 30. Once in a
while, not too often, one gets lucky with car repairs. So if anyone is
driving an older Tracker, aka Suzuki Vitara, with a defunct A/C, have the
fuse under the hood checked.

Okay, sorry, this probably hasn't helped any with the feelings toward the
Subaru. I had a friend who claimed they were practically indestructible,
back when they made the opposing cylinder engines. Do they still make them
that way?

Wayne