[OM] Re: Ribbit

Subject: [OM] Re: Ribbit
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 02:15:00 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> It's an interesting situation.  The E-330 is really starting to grow
> on me and I think there are certain features/capabilites of that
> camera which are missing in the 510/410.  I made the mistake of
> actually looking at Joel's 330 and I have to admit that I'm a bit
> smitten.

I think the E-330 is a genius piece of design. Classic old time Oly
thinking that studies the intended use and designs around that without
regard for convention. What's now 'out of the box thinking' and ever so
loosely applied to all kinds of things much less so than the E-330.

I still think the lack of a choice to have the LCD in "A" mode reflect
the exposure is a missed opportunity, but that's minor compared to the
genius of the design. If I had made the E-1 choice long ago, and already
had some ZD lenses, I would certainly have an E-330 by now.
> However,
>
> The E-410 has the formfactor I really like.  The camera is
> right-sized and doesn't force my hand into impossible contortions to
> take pictures.  If Olympus fails to ever replace the E-1, I probably
> could survive with the lesser models--but I really don't want to
> think about that.

The choice is tougher today. The E-510 has a higher pixel count and
better sensor system, "B" mode live view and IS, but no "A" mode and a
fixed screen. And who knows what the mythical savior E-x will have?

Moose