[OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side

Subject: [OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side, another one !
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 03:16:46 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> There you go again - I try not to be a platform bigot, to be all even-
> handed and that and then you insult my beloved 5D....

dpreview:
5D with 85/1.8 @ optimum aperture:
Horizontal LPH = 2300
Vertical LPH = 2000

K10D with 50/1.4 @ optimum aperture:
Horizontal LPH = 2000
Vertical LPH = 1800
Comment:
"Not that surprising to see the K10D under performing in our resolution
chart shot, this due primarily to the already discussed lack of
sharpness in edge detail (be this due to poor demosaicing or unusual
sharpening). Overall the biggest difference (versus the competition) is
in the horizontal direction." A RAW converted resolution chart exhibits
about 2200 LPH in the horizontal direction and 2000 LPH in the vertical
direction."

Unfortunately, Phil didn't publish RAW results for the 5D, so we can
still all claim whatever we like. ;-)

The other thing not addressed is resolution at higher isos. Noise may
have a significant effect on detail resolved and the visual quality of
that detail.

Feel better now, Andrew?

Of course, the K10D is obviously a great camera, too.

Moose