[OM] Re: Subaru Woes (OT), was Grump

Subject: [OM] Re: Subaru Woes (OT), was Grump
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 08:20:08 -0500
Bob Whitmire wrote:
> The next morning the service manager called to say that the new head
> gasket would be installed under warranty.
>
> The money I would have spent on a head gasket now must be given to an
> oral surgeon to repair my dropped and shattered jaw.
>
> We pick up the car this evening. I still can't believe it.

So, you're on your way to buy an E-thing now??  ;-P

So far, knock on wood, my '01 2.5RS has't had that problem and I'm at
108k miles.  I do need to have a valve cover gasket replaced soon - I'm
hoping I can find instructions online that point to it being a DIY
thing.  I also had two of the backlights behind my instrument panel burn
out, but I've been living with that because it means taking the entire
dashboard off.

I've been reasonably fortunate.  Only major non-warranty repair was a
weeping seal somewhere near the engine/tranny joint.

Car is still tight, relatively rattle-free, and still handles like a
dream.  This was my very first "new" car - ordered it built my way, not
the way some guy 6 years down the road would want it - and it's really
the first car I've owned that truly feels like an extension of me when I
drive. I'm very confident in her abilities, and know just how far I can
push her.  And she's very good about letting me know far in advance that
she's running out of grip.  The AWD system is an engineering marvel.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon