[OM] Re: Subaru Woes (OT), was Grump

Subject: [OM] Re: Subaru Woes (OT), was Grump
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 10:03:15 -0400
My aunt's family bought a Forester a couple of years ago on my
recommendation, to keep at their summer home in Maine. They were here
one Christmas when one of the daughters, an older and very
responsible driver, lost it on a nasty little section of road close
by (black ice), and plunged down a bank into  enough water to drown
them all. For some reason the Forester wedged itself in such a way as
they all, including my elderly uncle, were able to extricate
themselves. The driver's older sister was in physical therapy for a
while, but it could have been oh so much worse.

For what it's worth, I'm told the newer model Subaru's have the new
head gasket, and as long as you follow service instructions, nothing
should go wrong. After my blinding experience on the Road to Augusta
yesterday, I'm very likely to remain in the Subaru camp, while making
sure any more that I buy are later model than the 2002. And named
Forester. <g>

There are worse things in life than a blown head gasket, and crash
survivability is most assuredly something to be desired in one's auto.

Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com