[OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side

Subject: [OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side, another one !
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 13:06:31 -0700
There are tests and tests. I would say that your complaint about the
dpreview.com review is unfounded for the following reasons:

Everyone's F1.4 normal lens have similar limitations. They are fast
lenses after all. Asking for the F1.7 to compete against the 1.4s is
unreasonable. It might be acceptable if the others used their F1.8 or
F2 lenses.

If you read the resolution figures carefully the horizontal
resolution of the 10D was limited by moire not the lens, at least the
way I understand it. I find that a little surprising because I
assumed that the sensor came from Sony with the high pass filter
attached, but maybe not since the D80 has more resolution and does
not have the moire problem in the test. Perhaps Sony will allow the
specification of different filtration by their customers, or maybe
there is a way to deal with the moire in the processing chip and that
would account for the difference.

I think obsessing over 200 lines in a frame is a little on the silly
side. It will be virtually invisible in even a very large print and
other factors will be more important in how it looks. So just enjoy
your fine camera. They all have areas where they excel and areas that
their competitors hit it a little better.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA