[OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side

Subject: [OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side, another one !
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 18:44:18 -0700
Larry wrote:
> Winsor Crosby wrote:
>
>> There are tests and tests. I would say that your complaint about the
>> dpreview.com review is unfounded for the following reasons:

All such tests are necessarily incmplete. there just isn't the time to
do a really through job. And as soon as one thought one had done so,
some yahoo like me would point out something else to consider. :-)
>> Everyone's F1.4 normal lens have similar limitations. They are fast
>> lenses after all. Asking for the F1.7 to compete against the 1.4s is
>> unreasonable. It might be acceptable if the others used their F1.8 or
>> F2 lenses.
>>

> The 5D example in the pointed out dpreview test happened to be a 85mm
> f/1.8 a flatter field, sharper lens than the Pentax 50mm f1.4 (and its
> being 75mm equivalent due to crop factor.

I think this is less an issue that you make it for the simple reason
that most of the field curvature effects will be outside the area of the
small sensor.
> <snip lots of stuff>
>> I think obsessing over 200 lines in a frame is a little on the silly
>> side. It will be virtually invisible in even a very large print and
>> other factors will be more important in how it looks. So just enjoy
>> your fine camera. They all have areas where they excel and areas that
>> their competitors hit it a little better.
>>
> Very true.

I agree. And I would add that there are other, unmeasured, IQ factors
that we can see, that aren't quantified in these tests, and that are
more important in determining how our images look than a 10% difference
in LPH resolution. The tests can tell a lot about how much detail may be
resolved, but hardly anything about what that detail resolved in a
complex subject will "LOOK" like, especially in color. (You're welcome,
and a tip 'o the hat to you, AG.) That's why the sample images provided
by most test sites are invaluable.

I knew when I looked at the converted RAW file of the 14th. image I took
with the 5D at 100% that it had special image qualities and I would love
it. It's so deep, clean, almost 3D.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/5D/FFpoppy.htm

That's not to say that the K10D, or anybody else's camera, doesn't have
such qualities that go beyond the measurable, I just don't have those
cameras, so I don't know about those qualities in them forst hand.

Moose