[OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side

Subject: [OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side, another one !
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 18:54:39 -0700
Tom Scales wrote:
> Because I have to swap to my macro lens!  The 18-200 isn't a panacea, it's
> just a great all around lens.....

Not just macro, what about wider angle? My current regular 5D kit is
28-300, 17-35 and 90 mm macro. The ALL in one lens isn't here yet, so I
still need to change lenses. ;-)

Of course, Andrew does all his super wide stuff with rangefinders, so he
wouldn't understand.

>> But, it's no good for the cricket, mate!
>>
>> That's the one Nikon lent me with the D200 - nice, but I was not so
>> impressed at the long end. I had some troubles with the VR (lulled me
>> into a false sense of security) and I had to think, with a range like
>> that, what's the point of an interchangeable lens?
>>
>> On 31/05/2007, at 9:12 PM, Tom Scales wrote:
>>> I do own the nikkor 50/1.8 but it is rare that I use it.  My newest lens is
>>> the 18-200 VR which I have to say is fantastic.  27-300 equivalent
>>> in a small light lens.  I know, I know, it's all compromises but the
>>> results speak for themselves.

Well, that's just what I use most on the 5D, 28-300 mm. And mine doesn't
even have VR/IS, but I am very happy with it. The compromises in the
newer long range zooms are SO much less than in the old days that they
are a joy to use.

I too use my 50/1.8 very little, only carrying it for light so low that
high iso isn't enough. It does acquit itself well in those few uses.

Moose