[OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - II - Disks - and a question

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Notes on Upgrading - II - Disks - and a question
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:14:54 -0700
? ... Either I've looked at different models or I missed seeing what
you saw Chuck. The Seagate eSATA drives I've seen say they come with a
cable but haven't mentioned the card/bracket to provide a connection
form the inside of the computer to the rear panel. Buy.com has had a
recurring sale for a $130 Fantom 500G eSATA drive with bracket every
couple of weeks. I keep looking but haven't bought.

My Delll machine has what appear to be free eSATA headers but I
haven't tried connecting one of the existing drives to them to make
sure they work. (I have two DVD/CD drives, a single HD, and I think a
3.5 floppy). I think there were at least two more SATA headers.

The Dell literature mentions cables as a common source of interference
with cooling. I don't know if Moose's stack of drives would run cooled
if the cables were re-routed. The Dell machines have numerous clips to
hold the cables in specific locations. The SATA cables are tiny
compared to the old ribbon cables, but. Dell put noticeable thought
into cable placement and keeping them positioned in the desired
location.

-jeff