[OM] Other Forums inc. Oly (410-510 Content)

Subject: [OM] Other Forums inc. Oly (410-510 Content)
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:46:14 -0400
This weekend I had an opportunity to peruse other discussion boards
and what I found floored me. Not that I didn't know what a bunch of
rude-nicks wreak havoc on the Internet, just that I hadn't frequented
their haunts in so long that I had forgotten. Specifically, I hit
Nikon, Canon & Olympus on dpreview. From worst to best, civility
wise, Canon, Nikon & Olympus. I could read two or three posts in a
row on the Oly forum before someone went non-linear. One Canon, and
Nikon, sometimes I couldn't get even one post in before the poster
went off half-cocked. And I think half-cocked is a good term. Another
good term is rude. It's like the folks just patrol the various boards
and whenever they see someone being nice, or expressing enthusiasm
for a piece of gear, they butt in and flame it--the poster and the
gear. And then I saw one guy who posted a noise test of the E-410 vs.
5D, with the Oly using the kit lens and the 5D with L glass. And the
butthead had the audacity to defend his test. It was freaking
amazing! It was also amazing how much time and effort otherwise
intelligent people put into trying to persuade the fellow of the
error of his way. Hell, he _knew_ the error of his ways going in.
Just another bomb thrower.

Every now and then I think this board gets up on the wrong side of
the bed, but I ain't thinking that anymore. No way, no how! We are
absolute paragons of civility, and potential global paradigms of
polite discourse.

Phew!

But I did learn the 510 is showing up in stores and on-line now.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com