[OM] [OT] for all you musicians

Subject: [OM] [OT] for all you musicians
From: "Richard Lovison" <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:38:54 -0400
Oh my... if I was only 30 years younger.  I have always been running a dual
boot system on my computer since 95 with Linux as a second choice.  Recently
I installed the latest version of Ubuntu Linux and tried out Ardour2,
digital audio workstation software.  All I can say is wow!!  For any of you
out there who are musicians and are considering  doing your own recording,
this is the software.  I just can't believe what can be done with Ardour
that used to take 100's of thousands of dollars to do with hardware when I
was an engineer back in the late 70's.

The 24 track tape machine has been replaced by the hard drive and the
console with its patch bay and outboard gear replaced by the software.
Maintenance??  No longer do those tape machines need to be calibrated once a
day.  I'm not sure how I would handle 24 open inputs with some outboard gear
with a mouse... a very large wide screen LCD would be needed and possibly
multiple monitors.

I imagine for the cost of a decent computer, a pro audio card (M-Audio or
RME Hammerfall) to provide 16 or more balanced inputs and a collection of
decent microphones one could have a wonderful studio at a fraction of what
it cost 30 years ago. With the money saved, energy could then be put into a
well designed studio space, a small control room with close field monitoring
and possibly a third space set up for just post mix listening with a nice
set of monitors (favorites used to be Urei Time Aligns).  Oh, if I was just
30 years younger. :)

Richard