[OM] Re: Recent work with an E-300

Subject: [OM] Re: Recent work with an E-300
From: "Ian Nichols" <ian.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:20:19 +0100
On 07/06/07, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Too many images, aaaargh! Also, they loaded pretty slowly when I first
> looked, faster at the moment..

Sorry about that, I do seem to be more snap-happy than I was with film ;)
Hope you didn't waste any time considering how the highlights might be
saved in 2920 - they really are gone completely.  I should probably
take that one down for pride.

> Based on the thumbnails, I browsed a few.

> Toned down a bit to come closer to the brightness of the performance
> shots, 2760 would make a great intro image to a series of shots of
> performers in the same chair.

The light levels in that particular spot were fairly constant for the
evening - the others were in a different room.  2814 was the only shot
of a performer in there.

> With a little cropping and color balance, 2786 has promise.
> I like 2850 a lot. The expressions tell several stories, especially the
> two in front.
> A number of the indoor group shots look nice. There's probably a couple
> that are great, 2881 looks pretty good, but I didn't have the patience
> to look at them all.

I was quite pleased with the way those turned out - the lighting in
there was a mixture of tungsten (some of it red-filtered) and
high-pressure sodium (or mercury, not sure which).  No idea what
colour temperature that's supposed to be so I just set for tungsten
and tweaked it in RSE afterwards.  It certainly did something horrible
to the facial skin tones of the man at top-left in 2871.  I don't
think he was having a heart-attack.

> There's a great caption for 2934 about drinking your beer to reach full
> height.

Or only being allowed to "when you've grown up a bit more".

> 2959 is a fabulous capture!

I wanted to get both horn mouths in, but the mic stand just out of
shot to the right wouldn't let me. :(

> 2980 is strong

Ah, the lovely Laura.  Not a bad bassist either.  I prefer 2979 myself
- shows off her fingers better I think.

> I love the light in 3023
>
> I'm sure I missed some good stuff, but that's the way it goes. :-)

They'll be there for a while - you can go back anytime ;)

Thanks for the feedback.