[OM] Re: Super wide zooms [was Re: E-410 Kit]

Subject: [OM] Re: Super wide zooms [was Re: E-410 Kit]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 07:13:53 -0400
Wow!  Thanks!  That was a lot of work to illustrate the point.  I'd love
to have a Zuiko 18 and 21 but I don't think I can justify the expense at
the moment.  My Zuikos stop at 24/2.8.  I used to have the 24 shift but
sold it to John King thinking I was going to buy a 20D with small
sensor.  Then I dallied and dallied waiting for Oly to do something and
finally turned to the 5D instead.  By that time one of my reasons was to
have enough pixels to stand up to the losses for software geometry
corrections given that the 24 shift was gone.

I do own PTLens but need to do some test photos and have a couple custom
profiles created.  I was going to do that last year but it got lost in
the moving shuffle.  But I think I found the perfect building for test
images the other day so have to get back on it.

I was quite surprised at the amount of barrel distortion and also the
effect on non-architectural images.  After reviewing lots of lens tests
over the past several days I'm thinking more and more of using a 17/18mm
prime and restricting the zoom to 20-35 or 20-40.

Anyhow, I was very glad to see that the 17mm distortions on the Tamron
were straight forward barrel distortion and easily corrected in software
vs. the more troublesome sinusoidal oddities exhibited by some lenses.

Chuck Norcutt