[OM] Why I feel like a freaking idiot sometimes

Subject: [OM] Why I feel like a freaking idiot sometimes
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 08:11:43 -0400
So I got some new software for writing web sites. I even got a new
domain because I'm thinking of a radical new approach in the site.
(More on that later, as it develops.) Because I'm on a Mac, and using
a Mac-dedicated web authoring tool, I wrote a potential host provider
to ask whether I should avail myself of their Windows server or their
Linux server. This likely as not shows Point One of my ignorance.
Dumbass me thought for sure I'd want Linux because I'm using a Mac.
Shows what I know!

I got the following reply from tech support. To their credit, they
were quick and thorough. A little too thorough, by my book. I might
as well be trying to read Sandskrit.

Thank you for contacting Online Support. The difference between the
to server is only that support for ASP, ASP.NET v1.0/2.0 and ASP.NET
AJAX coding and applications is only available on our Windows shared
hosting plans. Support for SSI, PHP4, PHP5, Perl w/FASTCGI, Python
CGI, Java (JSP), Ruby CGI, and Ruby on Rails w/FASTCGI coding and
applications is only available on our Linux shared hosting plans. If
the site you want to build uses any of these listed languages or
functions, be sure that you select the appropriate operating system
for your hosting account. In addition, if you are planning to set up
any data bases, like MS SQL Server or an Access database, are only
available on our Windows server. Our Linux hosting plans only provide
MySQL support. This information is all that is need when choosing a
server the type of computer that is being used does not come into the
decision on which server to choose from.

Would someone who 1) understands this, and 2) has a little time on
his hands, explain what the hell they told me? Not in terms of a
textbook, but rather in terms of a basic, simple photographer's web
site lacking bells and whistles and dedicated mostly to showing
pictures. Gawd, I feel like a freaking idiot who should not be let
anywhere near a computer.

--Bob Whitmire, Round Pond's own Village Idiot