[OM] Re: Manual Focusing Issues with DSLRs?

Subject: [OM] Re: Manual Focusing Issues with DSLRs?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:15:32 -0700 (PDT)
> Which talks about how modern DSLR focusing screens are not the best
> for focusing manual lenses. Can anyone support or refute this idea?

I'd love to have a focus screen with a central microprism spot again.
I was never really a split-image kinda guy, but preferred the
microprisms.

The E-1 is usually pretty good for manual-focusing.  I find it a pure
pleasure when manual-focusing my 100/2.8 or 200/4 as the image
shimmers a bit when it is in critical focus.  The 24/2.8 doesn't. Nor
does the Tokina zoom.

A 2-series focus-screen in the OM bodies also has an issue with
several lenses.  The 24/2.8 is one such example, where you really are
clueless as to the focus when looking just at the ground-glass.

AG

> have been having some trouble with manual focusing on my DSLR (not
> an
> Olympus), and have been thinking about trying a Katz Eye screen,
> with
> a more traditional split image/microprism/ground glass
> configuration... anyone have any experience with the Katz Eye
> product? I tried searching the digest archives, but all I got was
> "non-existent page" outcomes... from what I can tell, I will be
> trading a little screen brightness for improved focus accuracy,
> which
> seems like a good trade to me.
>
> Curt

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com