[OM] How do you carry "Big Bertha"

Subject: [OM] How do you carry "Big Bertha"
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:48:00 -0400
Yesterday I departed from my normal event shooting scenario where I
simply meander around some church or synagogue or banquet/dance hall for
hours on end.  For the first time ever I took the 5D with 100 pounds of
lens attached (Tokina 80-200/2.8 and 1.5X Kenko converter) and hiked up
and down the hills of the local zoo for a couple of hours.

Apart from suffering the humiliation of exceedingly poor photographic
accomplishments I was also struck by the need for some better way to
carry this camera/lens combo.  As it was, the whole contraption was akin
to wearing a pendulum around one's neck and I kept thinking that the
poor 5D was going to have its lens mount physically torn from its body.

Is there a device that allows attaching the neck strap to the tripod
mount on the lens?  That would better balance the whole affair and take
the load off the camera's lens mount.  Or maybe some other solution
that's even better?

Maybe I just need to carry the whole thing on a monopod slung over my
shoulder.  A monopod would likely have improved a lot of shots.

Chuck Norcutt