[OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]
From: "Richard Lovison" <rlovison@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:54:12 -0400
On 6/10/07, Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Little cms is of course able to use 'alien' profiles, too.

Thanks for pointing out another option.

Being a heavy linux user since 1997, I tend to pick only known compatible
> hardware to avoid this kind of struggle.

That choice kind of limits your freedom, don't ya think? ;-)  C*non produces
some remarkable printers that work beautifully in xp.  I don't know the
reason why they don't produce drivers for Linux though I know a third party
has for a $30 a year fee. My point is I wouldn't limit myself to Linux just
so I can be an "open source advocate". I would prefer all software
manufacturers to be open source but unfortunately, the world doesn't always
operate according to rlovison. :)  Sometimes xp provides what I need (an
environment for photo work) and sometimes Linux provides what I need (an
environment for audio work).

If you need photographic mindset in a software on Linux, you'd feel better
> with Krita (part of Koffice). Krita is based on layers, color channels,
> color
> spaces and profiles. It has DSLR native raw import facilities, and works
> in
> 16 bits mode inside before eventually producing a 8 bit jpeg.

Thanks again for pointing out another choice that I wasn't aware of.

Effort is the essence of freedom ;-) Tongue-in-cheek appart, the setup needs
> bit of computer and linux knowledge, but once done, it becomes completely
> transparent. For instance, to tweak my pictures on a single shot basis, I
> can
> use ufraw to convert from raw to 16 bits tiff with visual feedback, but if
> have a number of close enough shots, I can script dcraw with the values
> found
> in ufraw on the first one to batch a whole session. Very convenient. (nb :
> dcraw exists for windows and mac os x too, check it, you might like it).

Didn't know ufraw supported the E-1 though I still would prefer using
Olympus software for RAW conversion. If I had an Eps*n printer I'd be
tempted to explore the possibility of using Linux for photography.  For now,
xp is my operating system of choice for photo work with CS2 my choice for
image manipulation and Olympus Studio for RAW conversion.

Richard