[OM] Re: [OT] Intel Mac users only -- mac and pc the lines just got tota

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Intel Mac users only -- mac and pc the lines just got totally blurred -new parallels
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 07:13:23 +1000
Perversely, the iPod is a technology that reversed the trend and the
Apple approach to life, the universe and everything by being
extremely simple. You want it to do anything else, buy a bolt on item
from Belkin or someone. Competitors seemed to miss this point and
built in things like FM tuners, storage cards and so on, and failed.
It's not a question of giving up a monopoly – there are plenty of
devices out there which will do it all and more. But no-one buys
them. They're just not as cool. And once we're locked in to a way of
doing things, we are very resistant to change. A friend in a camera
store told me that they'd had to return their stock of Samsung NV
compacts as no-one would buy them. The control interface was too
different (and I think, vastly superior to most). The punters
couldn't cope and wouldn't buy.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx