[OM] Re: Why I feel like a freaking idiot sometimes

Subject: [OM] Re: Why I feel like a freaking idiot sometimes
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:29:02 +0930
On Mon, Jun 11, 2007 at 04:31:53PM +1000, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I'm in late as usual and not sure of context but if I send an
> attachment with OSX Mail I'm asked if I want to send a 'Windows
> friendly' version and many programs, espcially cross platform like
> Office allow me to save in Windows useable versions. Is that specific
> output?
> Andrew Fildes

A complete e-mail is made up of a series of 'parts' including a header &
some attachments (e.g. text/plain, text/html, text/quoted-printable
etc.) As e-mail is plain text only, when you attach something like
images or lairy flashing logos etc., mail client software uses one of
the many data encoding standards (base-64, uuencode etc.) that convert
your 8-bit binary data into strings of 7-bit 'non-whitespace' ASCII, &
attaches it labelled as image/gif, application/x-pdf,
application/octet-stream  etc., etc.).

Unless one made changes to settings, older versions of outlook used to
put ALL of the content, even the text, in a single encoded attachment
called  winmail.dat,  useless to pretty much anything but windows...
It's pretty sad that a 'windows-friendly' setting even has to  exist. It
means the someone (lots of someones) are just not complying with the
ratified standards...

davidt