[OM] Re: Vuescan color profile problem {WAS:Don't cry, just do it! [was

Subject: [OM] Re: Vuescan color profile problem {WAS:Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]}
From: James King <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:01:29 +0100

> Btw, in a HK photography forum, someone said that to scan a blank
> frame & save its film base color in Vuescan as an ICC profile for
> negative film. The color will be more accurate for those negative
> film. Anyone has this experience?
>
> Thanks.

I did some measurements of colour film using an expo disk and a 5000
Kelvin lamp. I went in 1/3 of a stop increments for 5 stops each side of
medium grey. *ALL* the neg colour films I measured (scaned and looked at
rgb values and plotted them in excel vs exposure) have quite significant
deviations between film base colour, a medium grey shoot and a high
light shoot. I certainly found that I would get colour casts. The
problem with neg film is that its not as linear as you may think. The
curves for r, g and b tend to converge in all the films I measured.
Regards
James