[OM] Re: 2-series screen newbie question

Subject: [OM] Re: 2-series screen newbie question
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 21:14:00 -0700
<SNIP SNIP and SNIP>
>I was really mostly warning about Beattie screens. I got one as an
>unexpected bonus (or so I thought) with an OM-1 I bought. One day, I
>realized that it was really hard to focus a WA I was using and went
>through to find out what was wrong. I put the lens (21/3.5??) on another
>body and things were fine, which pointed to the screen. I switched to a
>1 series and all was well.
>
>It's been some time now, but my recollection was that when I got down to
>21 or 18 mm, the 1 series was slightly better in poor light, low
>contrast, etc.. But it's nowhere like the big difference between the
>Beattie and either of the Olys.
>
>Sure you aren't just looking for things to fret about until you can use
>the stuff? :-)
>
>Moose

Well, anything to make me run to the camera bags to check out something Moose
says.  Hmm, I put my 21/3.5 on an OM2n with a 1-10 screen then switched it to my
4T with the Beattie Grid.  In a darkened room they seemed to be equally as hard
to focus but I would have given a slight edge to the Beattie on this one.  I
then put the lens on an OM1 with a 1-13 screen.  The clear section of the screen
was more difficult to focus with but when looking at things with vertical lines
the split image made it easier than the other screens.  Of course if there were
no vertical lines for the split image, this screen would not have worked as
well.  Do you recall what model of 1 series screen vs what model Beattie?

Would it make a difference if it was a Beattie in an OM1 / OM 2 as opposed to a
Beattie in a 2S / OM4 with the semi-silvered mirror?

Just curious, the Beatties will stay in my OM4s.

Jay

Hand me my costume
Please won't you pass me my mask
I have appointments I must keep with my past.

Bill Nelson - Beauty Secrets