[OM] Re: Vuescan color profile problem {WAS:Don't cry, just do it! [was

Subject: [OM] Re: Vuescan color profile problem {WAS:Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]}
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:55:53 -0700
Michael Wong wrote:
> Moose,
> Thank you very much again. I have bought a Vuescan Professional
> licence & have tried to apply some setting as you mentioned.

Beautiful portrait!
> This one was scanned by Nikon Scan
> http://palmboy.palmcyber.net/albums/Private/IMG2262.jpg

Too contrasty for a portrait, but not unexpected using default settings
for a shot in bright, direct sun. Not having seen the original, it's
hard to tell about the red.
> This one was scanned by Vuescan with built-in ICC profile
> http://palmboy.palmcyber.net/albums/Private/IMG2269.jpg

Try using the 'Portrait' white balance option. I like what it does to
the skin. I would probably use the skin from it on top of the built-in
VueScan option and adjust the top layer opacity to just add a little of
the warmth to the skin..
> This one was scanned by Vuescan with your shadow ICC profile
> http://palmboy.palmcyber.net/albums/Private/IMG2270.jpg

Not too bad, but obviously off in the red, which would need a boost in a
shadow shot to look like sunlight, but doesn't here.
> This one was scanned by Vuescan with your sun ICC profile
> http://palmboy.palmcyber.net/albums/Private/IMG2271.jpg
>
> It's strange that the color is serious shift with sun ICC profile. Dunno why?

I think there is a problem with the current version of VueScan. I just
tried it with some Portra160NC. Here's what I found:

- Preview with 'built-in', the image comes up not bad for color, but a
little washed out.
- Then select the Portra icc, it goes all pink.
- Preview again and it comes up looking good
- Select 'built-in' and it goes all green.

Moose