[OM] Re: How would you deal with incorrect photo credits?

Subject: [OM] Re: How would you deal with incorrect photo credits?
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:44:43 -0400
In the publishing world, this sort of stuff happens all the time. I
recall having lunch with the mathematician Martin Gardner whereupon
he produced a copy of his (then) latest book for my perusal. I
noticed a sticker with his name on it on the title page. The
publisher has misspelled the author's name, and had remedied it in
that printing with a sticker. Mr. Gardner was pretty damn sanguine
about it, to my way of thinking.

(And in case anyone thinks I'm name dropping here, I had lunch with
Mr. Gardner a number of times, and even visited in his home a time or
two, always while on duty for the newspaper I worked for, and I never
left his presence without being pounded for the fact my newspaper
accepted ads for schlock diet programs, and published a horoscope.)

And you're dealing with non-profit do-gooders, who shouldn't be held
to the same standard as the real pros. I would contact the editor,
calmly point out the mistake, and ask for a prominent correction in
the next available issue. My guess is they will be very contrite and
promptly correct the mistake. If they don't . . . well, short of
hiring lawyers and such, there really isn't very much you can do
except diss them on every mailing list you belong to. <g>

Just my $0.02

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com