[OM] Re: FS: various OM stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: FS: various OM stuff
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 07:49:07 -0400
It's also very important to note that, from the OM-2 onward, you should
only use silver oxide batteries.  Don't use alkaline or any other
chemistry.  The cameras are all critically dependent on maintaining a
minimum voltage level and will refuse to function (mirror will lock in
the up position with shutter closed) if the voltage falls too low.

Silver oxide batteries (like the now banned mercury batteries in the
OM-1) have the characteristic that they maintain a nearly flat voltage
level until just before they die.  Alkalines, however, start a rapid
voltage decline as soon as they're put into use.  It doesn't take long
with alkaline batteries in OM bodies before the voltage is too low to
operate the camera even though the battery may still be able to deliver
a strong current flow.

Batteries near end of life can also cause intermittent failures.  At one
point the battery may have too little voltage but then recover after
being unused for a while.  But they'll soon fall below the threshold
again after being placed back in service.

The best rule for OM's is to replace the batteries if it doesn't operate
correctly... even if you think they're new or are supposed to be new.
Lots of old stock around still on someone's shelf.  There are some other
specifics too such as tightening bottom plate screws to assure a good
ground and some bodies with black battery cover caps which don't make a
good ground because of paint residue on the threads.  Replace any black
body battery cap with silver.

The best silver oxide battery around used to be the Eveready 376 but I
think that battery has been superseded by another with slightly lesser
capacity but I can't recall the model #.

Chuck Norcutt