[OM] Re: FS: various OM stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: FS: various OM stuff
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 11:59:49 -0400
Best way is to ask right here.  While many of us have moved on to
digital something or other some (like me) continue to hold some or all
of the OM gear while many sell off to finance the new toys.

The 35/2 and 50/2 may be a little hard to come by but someone here may
be willing to part with them.  The 50/1.4 will be an easier acquisition
but be aware that there are many versions of both the 50/1.8 and 50/1.4.
  In general, the optical quality and coatings improved in the later
versions but the older, single coated versions also have their own
charms.  Amongst 50/1.4's the most coveted (by some) is one with a
serial number > 1,100,000.  I have 1 or 2 1.4's I'd part with but I'd
like to keep my high serial number version.

Anyhow, somebody here will probably make you an offer you can't refuse.
  Lots safer than dealing on ebay.

For good test data and commentary on various OM and compatible lenses
see Gary Reese's tests.  Gary was a member and left this wonderful
legacy: <http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>

A word of caution.  You will see frequent mention of tests on OM-1's
with mirror lockup.  You will also see mention of tests with bodies
capable of mirror and aperture pre-fire using the self timer.  These are
the tests that really count.  If you compare OM-1 with mirror lockup vs
mirror and aperture pre-fire with the self timer you'll see that the
latter are better.  The reason, as Gary ultimately discovered, is that
vibrations induced by aperture stop down is much more severe than the
mirror flipping up.  Pre-fire with the self timer stops both sources and
shows what the lens is actually capable of.  In the same vein, the 200/4
can show as a poor performer when it's actually very good.  The 200/4
seems to have a sympathetic vibration problem and if that can be damped
the optical quality of the glass can finally present itself.

Chuck Norcutt